Saturday, April 18, 2009

Seed Starting, Round 2


We have a second crop of sprouts AND I figured out a cheap light system. I found several tutorials online for how to build an adjustable system with fluorescent shop lights suspended from chain, but I didn't need anything that big and I didn't want to invest in a huge set of lights, lumber, chain and various other bits and pieces to build a set. My seed flat is 22" long. I found two 24" under cabinet lights at Walmart that already had grow bulbs in them, and used a cheap 24" wire shelf to make an overhead holder for them. For now, the bulbs are hanging from long metal ties about 1-1/2" above the plants. As the plants get taller, I can shorten the ties. And when they outgrow that, I'll just have to prop up the ends of the shelf on something. Took me 5 minutes to assemble and cost less than $20, and it will be easy to store for next year. Works for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment